Snickers has become one of the most famous chocolate bars in the world through its ‘You’re Not You…’ campaign showing people who are ‘off their game’ when they’re hungry and need a Snickers to bring them back to normal.
We want to continue that theme with a series of online films. The films will show highly suspenseful moments which compel the viewer to keep watching them in anticipation of the climax/ resolve. This never comes. Because the video is on a loop.
For those viewers that are caught out watching the video for a long period of time, the suggestion is that they’re easily fooled when they’re hungry.
What we’re after:
We’d like you to create meme-like films of high suspense moments that are crying out for a conclusion, only the conclusion never comes. Because it’s on a loop. The idea is that you simply can’t help watching to see what happens.
In this brief we are looking for our favourite five finished looped sequences, the winners will receive cash prizes according to those listed in the sidebar.
It could be a cat on a fence judging a jump to the ground, or someone holding a water balloon behind a building as if waiting for someone to walk round the corner, or someone on a bike pedalling like mad to a jump but never actually reaching it. Whatever idea you film it needs to keep us in suspense!
Here is an example of the sort of thing we’re after:
The actual content itself need only be a few seconds long (but can be as long as you wish) that will keep the viewer in a state of anticipation, but it needs to loop seamlessly so it feels like a continuous sequence that might last one, five, ten minutes, or longer.
It could be a single shot that, once looped, feels like it goes on forever. Or you could create a short sequence, with just a couple of edits that look like we cut back and forth to deliver that feeling of suspense. But please note, we aren’t looking for over-stylised films and wouldn’t expect you to spend too much time or money creating these so the idea and execution are much more important than the look and tone.
Your idea can be filmed on any device, eg on your phone, a camcorder or camera, the more authentic, the better.
Remember, the finished film or sequence needs to be loopable so it looks like a continuous sequence.
Once done, upload your finished file via the submission page on the platform.
Intriguing and fun so it holds your attention and keeps the viewer in suspense as they wait for the resolution (that never comes). You can be quirky without being too silly.
Your film(s) can be in any style or format, from home movie to phone footage, or even professionally shot. As long as it dupes the viewer!
- Anyone featured in your film/sequence must be over the age of 18.
- You will need to provide a signed release form for each person that features (this form is available to download in the sidebar).
- You can use ambient/natural sound.
- Please don’t include any music or dialogue in your film or sequence.
The finished film will be shown online in the UK and may be distributed around the world. Clips and cut-downs will be shared on social media.
Do’s and Don’t’s:
- Do shoot with the best camera/phone you have with a good resolution.
- Do shoot with enough light so it’s clear what you/your subjects are doing.
- Do hand-hold the camera/phone if you want but try to keep it steady.
- Do get permission of anyone in shot before you film them.
- Do read the brief in detail, including the Ts&Cs associated with submitting your content.
- Don’t put yourself or anyone else at risk.
- Don’t show any brands or logos (even in the background).
- Don’t have any music playing in the background.
Films must not include:
- Children or children’s characters in any casting.
- Ethnic, racial, religious or sexual stereotyping or ridicule.
- Depictions of gratuitous or excessive violence, brutality, cruelty or suffering to people or animals.
- Explicit sexual behavior or inappropriate sexual suggestiveness or innuendo.
- Endorsement of unethical, self-destructive or anti-social behavior or values, eg. drug or alcohol abuse.
- Endorsement of an unhealthy lifestyle i.e. excessive or compulsive consumption of foods or beverages.
- No logos or branding can be seen in the films.
- No nudity or alcohol should be shown.
Once you submit your film(s) and accept the Ts and Cs this becomes the contract should your film be selected.
Please ensure all films/clips submitted are accompanied with the appropriate release forms.
- 1 x content film or sequence per submission. If you decide to do more than one film you should upload them separately and include your release forms for each film.
Process and Timeline:
The deadline for submitting your film is 11.59pm (UK time) on Monday 12th June 2017. We can not except films after that date.
When all clips are received, our editors will put endframes on to the awarded films. Once our client has signed off the film, those filmmakers whose clips are featured will be notified by email and paid by bank transfer or Paypal.
- Shoot on any device you like, from a phone to a professional film camera, but make it as high res as you can.
- You can upload your clip in any format (mp4, mov) but we do want the original video file so don’t simply upload to a video sharing site and send a link.
In the download bar are:
- Release forms (you need to have these signed by anyone featured in your film).